Becoming a Mentee – Getting the most out of your MentorsJune 14, 2023
Hiring Tips and TricksJuly 19, 2023
HR Mavericks is a free HR Conference put on by EddyHR that I had the pleasure of speaking at a few weeks ago. Every session I attended had something great that I learned. Hope you enjoy some of the things I took away from it:
1. When you receive feedback that you may not want to hear, don’t respond immediately. Just say Thank You in the moment, then think about it later and thoughtfully respond.
2. In one-on-one’s, ask the teammate if they’re ready to hear some feedback – invite them to be open, ask how am I messing up? Then create course correction – how can WE fix this. Don’t push them with “you’re doing this wrong”, instead work together to solve a problem.
3. Communication vs Language – we may all be using the same language but are we communicating the same thing?
4. Never just ask someone for a meeting, ALWAYS give context, it is scary for people to hear you want a meeting but don’t give them context. A simple sentence or quick agenda will be appreciated and still a lot of fears.
5. We often say something but don’t give clean expectations. Sets things in black and white, for example: Does make yourself comfortable mean to take your shoes off and dig through the fridge or to take a seat and have open conversations. In works, let people know how the leadership team speaks, expectations of a job, timelines, etc.
6. When talking to people stop asking “What do you do?” Ask “Who is SO and SO?” “What makes you tick?” “What was your favorite thing that happened this week?” It helps people open up in ways you get to know them vs just knowing their job.
I highly recommend going to HR Mavericks next year. Well worth the time!